Monday, December 6, 2010

Don't Go Away

The roof of the house I was renting was literally falling in on me.  I had no money.  I had a minimum-wage job, no college education, no particular skills, and a very questionable future.  But it didn't matter because we loved each other.  No matter how cold or how dark or how difficult the world became, it didn't matter...we shared something in common that strangely burned in our hearts...Christ.  And now, our once questionable future has brought us 14 amazing years of marriage, 2 beautiful children that are passionate for Christ, a life filled with serving Him, plenty of provision, and well...never a dull moment!

They've been our friends since early in our marriage.  We've watched their kids grow into adults, and they are our close friends as well. We've shared a lot of laughs and a lot of difficult times together.  Carol even "fixed up" one of their sons with one of our young adults in our college ministry several years ago. Now they are married with one child and one on the way.  We haven't spoken to them in quite some time...no particular reason...There's been several times we have "lost touch" but we always seem to pick up right where we left off.  It seems there is some sort of in-dissolvable bond between us.

We have this group of friends (couples, families).  We first met at church about 8 or 9 years ago when we all had very young children.  We became very close early on, sharing a lot of great and difficult times together, doing ministry stuff together, and even buried a precious young friend together.   All of us live in different cities and some in different states now...but there is a very strong bond that continues to knit us all together.  We regularly keep up (especially the amazing, beautiful wives...otherwise known as the Goddesses) with the intimate details of each others' lives...standing with one another through joyful times and incredibly difficult times as well.

We found a new church a year ago in January.  It is amazing how in a very short time we have met and bonded with several families that I believe will be intimate friends for life.  There's a sacrificial love that is very evident as we do life together and serve Christ together.  They were there in amazing ways when Carol’s mom passed away, and we have already struggled together through some difficult situations that could put a more superficial relationship to the test.

"And Jonathan had David reaffirm his oath out of love for him, because he loved him as he loved himself." 
1 Samuel 20:17

Oh how I could lay down and just melt into this story!  Then again, maybe I have.  More accurately speaking, maybe my friends have.  I know beyond any doubt that if tragedy struck at any point...any one of these precious people I mentioned would drop everything and be there for any of us in an instant.  We didn't take a vow, tie our wrists together or anything like that, but something did happen.   Something greater than ourselves and something deeper than the norm binds us together.  And in this world, I take great...tremendous...comfort in that!  I take tremendous comfort in the fact that these amazing brothers and sisters in Christ are there...they are just there...and that's all I need to know sometimes! 

“This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.”   1 John 3:16

The Word of God says that perfect love casts out fear.  Many of my greatest fears are relieved when I think of having these dear people in my life.  The future King, David, feared for his very life.  This was really happening!  If Saul’s men found him he would, most assuredly, be killed.  I guess in our culture in America, this might be difficult to relate to, but most of us can relate to job loss or the threat thereof, a very sick child, a dying parent, news of a crippling ailment, a teenage child in trouble, financial troubles, or just the daily stress as we persevere through life. 

Where's the Jonathan in those times?  Is he there?  Is he willing to sacrifice?...is he willing to forsake a father, a king, a nation's interest to help a friend?  Are you?  Are you willing to forsake a father, a king, a nation to help a friend? 

David and Jonathon’s bond was unique.  But God has brought some precious people in to my life who I believe would be that Jonathon to me….who actually have been that Jonathon to me.  My only hope is that I could live up to their standard of courage and sacrifice and be one in return.  

So to my dear ones...that I love passionately in Christ...I only have one request...don't go away!

No comments:

Post a Comment