Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Servant Tree

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse." Romans 1:20



Symbols are powerful.  They express our hearts.  Nations rally around them. Men and women sacrifice their lives for what they represent.  Some symbols express eternal truths, and help anchor us as we journey through unknown lands.  Our pilgrimage is surrounded by an invisible world that is either waging war against us or coming to our continual aid and rescue.  What is invisible came first.  God spoke what we see into existence. And all around us are physical evidences of invisible realities.  They speak to us...though it seems silent...they cry out to us.  They beckon us to see and realize that our lives in this present world system are not the ultimate goal of God's eternity.  All creation is groaning, agonizing in eager expectation that we would grow into what we are to become...mature sons and daughters of the Most High God...the Church prepared for the Groom...the eternal enterprise of God in Christ.  “Wisdom cries out from the street corner”...but can you hear it?  Are you listening?

A mile down the road from where I live stands "The Servant Tree".  I drive by it almost every day, and one day I decided to name this tree.  To me, it represents God bending down, arms stretched forward and scooping me up to be my "ever-present help in time of danger".  He reaches down to lift me up; everyday as I head into life...as I head to the battlefield...the tree represents God carrying me through it all.  It reminds me that even though I can't see Him, he is there.  His presence enfolds me and all of nature and all the company of heaven, the great cloud of witnesses is working and laboring to see me finish the race!  This tree represents a great eternal, invisible reality!

The world, the flesh, and the devil seem to show a lot of expertise in the area of deception. The world system has a way of engulfing our minds, screaming for importance.  Its attempt is to scream so loud that we can't hear our God speak.  Its attempt is to engulf the eyes of our hearts and minds so much that we cannot see the things that are “not of this world”.  There's no thought of peering into eternity when our temporal pursuits have courted us into slavery.

The natural realm is powerful...it comes natural to us!  We can touch it.  We can see it. We can taste it.  We were born of flesh.  That which is of the Spirit must be fought for...the spirit and the flesh are at enmity with each other.  Symbols help draw us out. They help deliver us from this present evil age.  They help ground us in the divine. They help lift us out of the mundane...even help transform what seems mundane into amazing living...divine living!  And as the scripture above says, it is God's creation that makes His divine nature obvious.  Like the Servant Tree, I often find signs and symbols in nature that not only remind me of eternal truths, but they help take me deeper into experiencing these truths they represent.

Sometimes....when the world and it's worries are bearing down on me...when it barely seems I can breathe or make it to the next day...if I can find the strength to just look up...just glance at this tree or another sign or symbol that represent why I'm really here...I can find new strength, a refreshed vision...my sight is restored, and I can see, once again, who I am in Christ and what my true purpose is, in light of eternity.

Are you surrounded by signs and symbols that assist you in peering into the unknown? Take a minute to look at nature around you.  You might find something to help you dive deeper into His word and gaze deeper into His eternal truths.  You might find something that will help you understand the amazing reality of why you are here… your eternal calling in Christ as eternal servants, kings and priests unto our God!

1 comment: