Monday, December 20, 2010

Famous Ones


They cut themselves.  They're Bulimic.  They're heavy drug users and alcoholics.  They're thrill seekers with out of control behavior.  They dangerously live on the edge with suicidal tendencies.  Depression and paranoia stalk them without relent.

Who are they?

The famous ones.

I was discussing with some friends a couple of days ago the characteristics of several recent Disney Stars that have made the headlines.  Miley Cyrus seems to be headed in a downward spiral with drug use and erratic behavior.  Demi Lavato just announced she was checking herself into rehabilitation for self-mutilation and eating disorders.  These are just two examples we were discussing based mainly on our concern for Disney stars as they relate to our children.

As we all know, the headlines are full of, and seem to feed off of emotional chaos reeling through the lives of the famous ones.  We have all heard the stories of the horrible toll that fame takes on a person.  We have seen the wrecked lives.  We have experienced the collateral damage.

So why do we so desperately want it?  Why do we want to be famous?  Why is it so important for us to be known...to be known by many?  Why would many of us desire our names to become  household names?

Recognition...recognize me...think about me...admire me...adore me...elevate me... worship me.  It's in our nature...our fallen nature.  It’s the  desire to be inordinately recognized.  We want to be worshiped.  We can't escape it…apart from Christ.  And like Nebuchadnezzar, we want the world to recognize our greatness...our pathetic, fleshly, self-exalting wondrous kingdom that we build unto ourselves...that we build unto our name.

 “The king reflected and said, ‘Is this not Babylon the great, which I myself have built as a royal residence by the might of my power and for the glory of my majesty?"  Daniel 4:30

I'm not sure we have been created to be famous.  I'm not sure we can handle it...every move, every word, every emotion, every aspect of our lives displayed before millions...possibly billions of people.  It's unnatural.  I am sure of one thing though...as Christians we are called to die to the desire to be known…we are called to make Him known.

 “Immediately the word concerning Nebuchadnezzar was fulfilled; and he was driven away from mankind and began eating grass like cattle, and his body was drenched with the dew of heaven until his hair had grown like eagles’ feathers and his nails like birds’ claws."  Daniel 4:33

Nebuchadnezzar had to come to realize there was only one Famous One.  We, like Nebuchadnezzar, have to die to our desire to be worshiped and adored…that Christ would be exalted in our lives and in the church.  And like this king, we must be brought low...even to grass-eating experiences that our selves would be sacrificed on the altar...that He would be enthroned...in our hearts and in our minds...this is sanctification...the continual work of the cross.  He hung naked on the cross.  Sometimes our flesh must hang naked; be laid bare, that true humility can be born.

"Lord, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, lord. Repeat them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy." Habakkuk 3:2

This is incredible!  This is worthy of fame!  This must become the sole desire of our hearts!  We must want absolutely nothing more than to hear of His fame, stand in awe of HIS deeds, and to see them renewed in our day!  He is our King!  He is our God!  He is our Lord.  He is Jesus Christ, the ONLY way to the Father!  May His name be glorified.  May The Lord God and His greatness and holiness be made known among the nations!

It is pure robbery...we are thieves...we steal from our precious Savior and the exaltation of what He did...the cross!  We steal His glory!  We are an affront to the cross when we desire the recognition that only He deserves!  Essentially, we are saying don't look at Jesus.  Look at me!  I need you to look at me.  Not the cross.  Don't look at the only means to eternal life... Look at me!  "God forbid that I should ever glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ!"

"At the same time that my sanity was restored, my honor and splendor were returned to me for the glory of my kingdom. My advisers and nobles sought me out, and I was restored to my throne and became even greater than before."  Daniel 4:36

Nebuchadnezzar was humbled and all was restored.  He gave God complete recognition and credit for all things and all he possessed.  He glorified the Lord and "became even greater than before."  When we truly die to ourselves and recognize that God is Most High and truly reigns over all, we "become even greater than before".  Actually, we become, more and more, who we were created to be..."in Him we live and move and have our being".  The more we die, the more He lives in us...and our gifts, our talents, our love, our beauty and the fullness of the definition of who we are resounds throughout every fiber of our being...and the world begins to see something different in us...Christ in us!  The hope of glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment